Minutes of the Council Meeting
May 21, 2013
The City of Hallsville, Texas convened in a regular session at 6:00 P.M. on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 at the City Hall with the following members present:
Jerri Medrano Mayor
James Mizell Mayor Pro Tem
Eric Anderson Alderman
Tim Hatten Alderman
Jake Walker Alderman
Gary Nash Alderman
City Secretary Laura Welch
Chief of Police Paul Montoya
- I. CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order by Mayor Medrano. Mayor Medrano led the invocation and the Pledge of Allegiance.
II. CONSENT AGENDA
1. Minutes of April 16th Meeting
Motion was made by Alderman Jake Walker and second by Alderman Tim Hatten to approve the minutes as read. Motion carried. 5 Ayes; 0 Nays; and 0 Abstentions.
2. Monthly Financial Reports for April
Motion was made by Alderman Jake Walker and second by Alderman Eric Anderson to approve the monthly financial reports. Motion carried. 5 Ayes; 0 Nays; and 0 Abstentions.
III. Administration of Oaths for Newly Elected City Officials
City Secretary Laura Welch administered the oaths to the newly elected City officials: Jerri Medrano, Mayor; James Mizell, Alderman and Gary Nash, Alderman.
IV. MONTHLY POLICE SUMMARY
The April police summary was reviewed by Chief Paul Montoya. Total contacts for the month was 364: 207 citations issued and 157 warnings issued. There were 24 incident reports, 20 arrests, 7 accidents, 12 K9 deployments and 0 city ordinance violations for the month.
Chief Montoya presented the general update of the month’s activities.
V. MONTHLY WATER DEPARTMENT SUMMARY
Water Superintendent, Rickey Dugger was unable to attend the meeting. Briefly the Council reviewed the monthly report which consists of water leaks and locations, sewer issues and their locations and miscellaneous department activities for the month. There is currently a total of 1419 active water connections in the City. Building and sign permit information for the month was also presented to the Council.
1. Consider and act upon approval of the financial statements and independent auditor’s report for September 30, 2012 by Mike Hallum.
After a discussion with Auditor Mike Hallum, a motion was made by Mayor Pro Tem James Mizell and second by Alderman Jake Walker to approve the City of Hallsville financial statements and auditor’s report for fiscal year end 2012. Motion carried. 5 Ayes; 0 Nays; and 0 Abstentions.
2. Consider and act upon approval of a Renewal of Franchise Agreement with SWEPCO for a period of 30 years. This will be the 1st of 3 readings.
Motion was made by Alderman Eric Anderson and second by Alderman Tim Hatten to approve the 1st reading of the Renewal of Franchise Agreement with SWEPCO. Motion carried. 5 Ayes; 0 Nays; and 0 Abstentions.
3. Consider and act upon entering into a Municipal Maintenance Agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation. This agreement addresses the responsibilities for maintenance, control, supervision and regulation of State highways within and through the City limits.
Motion was made by Alderman Jake Walker and second by Alderman Gary Nash to enter into the Maintenance Agreement with the Texas Department of Transportation. Motion carried. 5 Ayes; 0 Nays; and 0 Abstentions.
4. Consider and act upon the approval of the Mutual Aid Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) regarding law enforcement cooperation between the City of Hallsville and Hallsville Independent School District.
Motion was made by Alderman Gary Nash and second by Alderman Jake Walker to approve the Mutual Aid Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the City of Hallsville and HISD. Motion carried. 5 Ayes; 0 Nays; and 0 Abstentions.
5. Consider and act upon approving the amended budgets for General Fund and Water/Sewer Fund.
No action taken.
VII. CITIZENS TO BE HEARD
The City Council welcomes public comments on items not specifically listed on the agenda. Speakers much sign up before the meeting begins and indicate which item (if any) the speaker wishes to address. Speakers are limited to three (3) minutes each. The Council cannot respond to matters not listed on the agenda until a future meeting.
CITY OF HALLSVILLE
Mayor Jerri Medrano
Laura Welch, City Secretary
Sworn and subscribed by before me on the 22nd day of May, 2013.
Lynnae Dawn Tucker
Notary Public, State of Texas